The days are longer; the air is warmer and the ocean serene.
Ahhh, spring is here!
So, what does this mean for our health?
The spring signals a time when we may naturally want to lighten up and it is the ideal time for a cleanse or detoxification.
Some of you may have already baulked at the mere words “cleanse” and “detoxify”. Images of liquid diets, fasting and shear misery have begun to dance through your head.
Well, the good news is that to effectively cleanse the body, mind and spirit caution, guidance and nurturance go much further than starvation and agony.
My intention is to provide you with a foundation from which to spring into amazing health.
Cleansing can be one of the best ways to jumpstart your health, gain more energy, lose weight, balance hormones and eradicate cravings.
Detoxification is about resting, cleaning and nourishing the body from the inside out. By gently removing toxins, then feeding your body with healthy nutrients, detoxifying can help protect the body from disease and give it renewed vitality.
14 Simple Steps to Support Your Cleanse:
1. Keep it simple. Focus on fresh, simple preparations of salads, soups and steamed vegetables. Celebrate the bounty of spring growth!
2. Drink pure water throughout the day. At least half your body weight in ounces. (150 pounds = 75 ounces of water)
3. Drink lemon water first thing every morning to gently cleanse the liver, kidneys and colon and balance the pH of the body. For added “punch”, try adding 1-2 drops Young Living lemon essential oil.
4. Eat your greens! Have some raw leafy deep green vegetables daily. You may choose to have a big salad, “green juice”, and/or green food supplements that include spirulina, chlorella and blue green algae. Enjoy broccoli, kale, spinach, dandelion, romaine, arugula and fresh herbs like basil, cilantro and parsley.
5. Include protein to help support and detoxify the liver. Include eggs, chicken, turkey, and fish (low mercury) as well as wolfberries/goji berries, high quality whey or brown rice protein powders (see below) and green superfoods.
6. Eat a light and early dinner. Try to schedule dinner by 6:30pm and keep things lighter (lunch should be the larger meal). Eating too much too late will put stress on the liver as it goes into detox mode at night.
7. Be sure to eliminate regularly. When toxins remain in the colon, they can be sent back to liver for processing again or leak into the blood stream. Add extra fiber from foods and supplements (if needed), take a probiotic, hydrate with pure water and ingest adequate healthy oils. Try a colon cleanse for added support.
8. Find a way to sweat daily. Take a sauna or soak in a tub to assist the skin in releasing toxins through the pores.
9. Dry brush daily before showering. Dry brushing helps support the skin and lymph in detoxification and stimulates circulation and the immune system. Consistent dry brushing may also help remove cellulite and fatty deposits under the skin.
10. Eat whole foods only and lots of fresh seasonal vegetables. There is no need to fast to reap the benefits of cleansing. Lean proteins, whole grains like quinoa and brown rice and essential fats like flax oil will all provide cleansing nutrition.
11. Pay attention to your body and record your process. Keep noticing how you are feeling. A dairy or cleanse log can be invaluable.
12. Move and be still. Be sure to get plenty of rest and move your body every day. It can be especially supportive to do this with a friend or loved one.
13. Try Young Living essential oils that support detoxification and liver health:
Release, Juva-flex, Juva Cleanse (all blends), Lemon and Roman Chamomile (single oils) all support and cleanse the liver. Lemon, grapefruit and lemon grass can all be used externally or taken internally in almond or rice milk as fat and mucus dissolvers. Dill and peppermint can assist with cravings and digestion. Ginger and DiGize are also wonderful for aiding digestion. **
14. Get support. Especially if it is your first time cleansing, the support of a knowledgeable health professional can be just the ticket to get you feeling and looking great comfortably and safely.
Remember to ease in and ease out. It is important to transition into and out of any cleanse. I recommend beginning with eliminating all processed foods, white sugar, caffeine, and white flour for 3-4 days. Increase your consumption of all whole foods, especially fresh vegetables. Drink plenty of water and create an intention around what you hope to gain through the cleansing process.
Next eliminate common allergens like milk products and wheat. Focus again on fresh green vegetables and citrus, both of which are cleansing and supportive of the liver. You may choose to explore fresh vegetable juices or green food supplements to supercharge and alkalize your system. Drink a dandelion or detox tea 2-3 times per day as a gentle support. I suggest staying with this phase for 3-4 days, and then transitioning back out as you entered.
Foods to choose
Artichoke, Broccoli, dandelion greens, bok choy, lemons, limes, cilantro, parsley, spinach, watercress, radish, daikon, garlic, onions, beets, celery, apples, berries
Foods to lose
Sugar, sodium, caffeine, soft drinks, refined foods, white flour, dairy
Mint, cilantro, dill, turmeric
(The above is an excerpt from Ana’s new cleanse e-book)
Berry Truffle Smoothie
Here is a cleanse-worthy smoothie guaranteed to change your mind if you still believe cleansing cannot be indulgent. This smoothie provides protein to help support the liver in detoxifying, antioxidant-rich berries, fiber and omega 3 fatty acids in the flax and metabolic support if you choose to use the spices.
1 cup water or ½ cup aloe juice with ½ cup water
1-2 scoops low temperature processed, hormone and antibiotic free chocolate whey powder*
*I recommend Dream Protein: www.GreensFirst.com/4550
1 T flaxseed oil
1 cup frozen raspberries or strawberries
8 ice cubes, or as desired
1 T ground flaxseeds
Optional, but delicious: dash each cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg
Blend everything but the ice on medium, then slowly add the ice cubes turning the speed up if needed, until the desired thickness is achieved.
If you have a high-powered blender such as a Vitamix, you can just add everything in at one time.
** Not all essential oils are safe for internal use. Young Living oils are 100% organic, pure and therapeutic grade essential oils. You may purchase by visiting
It is important to note that this information is not a replacement for medical advise. I recommend consulting with your doctor before beginning any cleanse or nutritional program.
©2008 Ana Poirier, CHC