These yummy little morsels make a nourishing snack, or a light, energizing meal. Sneaky tip:put raw collard leaves in a plastic bag and freeze them until they soften and turn bright green (maybe an hour). This breaks down the cell wall making them more pliable, while keeping most of the raw nutrition!
Enjoy as is or with your favorite dipping sauce.
- 8 large Collard leaves, frozen
- 2/3 cups raw almonds, soaked overnight in pure water and drained
- 1 ½ Tbsp. flax oil
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or cilantro
- 6 tsp. fresh lime juice, divided
- ½ tsp. Celtic or Himalayan salt
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 ½ cup arugula
- 4 oz. sprouts of choice
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on a sharp diagonal
- Process almonds, flax oil, herbs, 4 tsp. of lime juice, and ¼ tsp. salt until nearly smooth.
- Mash avocado with remaining lime juice and salt.
- Arrange all the veggies on a platter separated.
- Place Collard leaves on a second platter.
- Spread small amount of avocado mixture on Collard leaf. Add a dollop of almond mixture at one end, and then add small amounts of whatever veggies you like. Roll up and enjoy!
- If you are enjoying this with others invite everyone to assemble their own.